Minority Engineer Magazine, launched in 1979, is a career- guidance and recruitment magazine offered at no charge to qualified engineering or computer-science students and professionals who are African-American, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian American. Minority Engineer presents career strategies for readers to assimilate into a diversified job marketplace.
This magazine reaches minority engineers nationwide at their home addresses, colleges and universities, and chapters of student and professional organizations.
If you are an engineering student or professional who is a member of a minority group, Minority Engineer is available to you FREE!
» Featured Articles
» Subscription Information
» Reader Survey
» Companies Actively Recruiting
Internships at Johnson & Johnson
Join New Brunswick, NJ-headquartered Johnson & Johnson (J&J) via a Summer 2018 Consumer R&D internship. There are multiple locations for this engineering internship: Skillman and Princeton, NJ, and Fort Washington, PA.
About the Company
Johnson & Johnson has more than $71 billion in sales and is a worldwide manufacturer of healthcare products, as well as a provider of related services, for consumer, pharmaceutical and medical devices markets. More than 275 operating companies employ approximately 120,000 employees in 65-plus countries around the world, selling products in more than 175 countries.
Consumer R&D is a corporate division passionate about research, development and engineering. We develop an array of well-known products in the adult skin and hair, feminine care, oral health, wound care, infant, kids and teen categories. Included are such brand names as Band-Aid Adhesive Bandages, Johnson's Baby products, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clean & Clear and Neostrata, Listerine, OGX, Rogaine and Tylenol.
During the internship term, you will:
• Design and develop creative consumer, personal care, and/or OTC pharmaceutical product for global markets.
• Have the chance to function in a lab environment and/or research pilot facilities.
• Work within multifunctional and interdisciplinary teams with multiple internal and external partners.
• Partner with peers, senior personnel and supervisors who’ll provide mentorship geared toward successful outcomes.
• Have access to opportunities for networking with company leaders, leading community service, touring external J&J facilities and presenting their work to a wide audience.
As an intern you’ll be assigned to a specific function and project within the broad scope of consumer R&D.
Positions are available within the following functional roles:
• Formulation Science and Development: Developing, testing, scaling up and fixing new formulated products and ingredients (gels, emulsions, suspensions, creams, foams, lotions, cleansers, etc.). Relevant experience includes chemical engineering, chemistry, material science and engineering, biomedical engineering, polymer science, biotechnology, soft matter science, food science, personal care science, as well as formulation, chemical synthesis and analysis, wet chemistry, rheology, experience with polymers, surfactants, colloids, emulsions and nanoparticles.
• Foundational Biology, Measurement Science and Product Efficacy Testing: Utilizing biochemistry, optics and cell biology to develop and utilize new methods for testing product efficacy and new claim validation. Relevant experience includes biomedical engineering, microbiology, biological science, biochemistry, biotechnology, medical optics, pharmaceutical sciences, neuroscience; method development, cell culturing, in-vitro and in-vivo methodologies, aseptic techniques, and clinical testing.
• Device and Package Engineering: Developing, crafting, testing, prototyping and solving problems for J&J’s consumer devices, packages and manufacturing equipment. Relevant experience includes engineering, mechanical engineering, package engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, software engineering, systems engineering, as well as design control, technical drawing (CAD), medical devices, electronics, 3D printing and design, mechanical and electrical design and testing, programming, and machine learning.
• Specialty Roles in Consumer Science, Clinical Testing and Technology Development: Interdisciplinary roles connecting various aspects of product science, consumer psychology and perception, computational analysis and modeling, data management, market research, etc. Relevant experience includes computer science, behavioral science, psychology, consumer science, neuroscience, as well as consumer psychology, clinical research, image analysis, consumer products/personal care market research, programming, regulatory, technology entrepreneurship, toxicology, human factors and user experience.
If you’re passionate about these roles, then you’re encouraged to apply.
Internship qualifications include:
• Enrollment in a full-time undergraduate/graduate program seeking a degree majoring in a science- or technology-related field.
• A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at the time of application.
• Ability to work 40 hours per week for the duration of the internship term.
• Authorization to work in the U.S. without limitations and without requiring sponsorship for visa status now or in the future (e.g., H1-B status).
• Relevant internship, co-op, laboratory or retail work experience.
• Junior or senior level standing.
• History of leadership and multifunctional collaboration.
Based on location of assignment, housing assistance is offered to students who live more than 50 miles from their work-site location. This housing assistance includes options for subsidized rent in a fully furnished apartment close to the work site, or a stipend payment for students to use at their discretion. Daily transportation to and from the work-site location is the student's responsibility, as most locations are not accessible via public transportation and company transportation is not provided.
For more information go to jobs.jnj.com/jobs/00001B4F and careers.jnj.com. Connect on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
» Feedback for the Editor
» Request Article Copy