Hispanic Career World Magazine, launched in 2001 is the recruitment link between students and professionals who are Hispanic and the employers that seek to hire them. This publication offers career-guidance columns, news, and feature articles that profile Hispanics in all fields.
This magazine reaches students, graduate students and professionals in all careers at their home addresses.
If you are a Hispanic college student or professional, Hispanic Career World is available to you FREE!
Hispanic Career World
» Featured Articles
» Subscription Information
» Reader Survey
» Companies Actively Recruiting
MBDA Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by the Numbers
The U.S. Department of Commerce, Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA), mbda.gov, recently marked the history, culture and contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans as part of National Hispanic Heritage Month. Hispanics: One Endless Voice to Enhance Our Traditions was chosen for this year’s theme.
In September 1968 Congress authorized President Lyndon B. Johnson to proclaim National Hispanic Heritage Week, observed during the week that included September 15 and 16. In 1989 Congress expanded the observance to a month-long celebration (September 15 to October 15) of the culture and traditions of those who trace their roots to Spain, Mexico, and the Spanish-speaking nations of Central America, South America and the Caribbean.
September 15 is the starting point for the celebration because it’s the anniversary of the independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and 18, respectively.
In a post that honors Hispanic business owners, MBDA underscored the following numbers:
• 3.3 million: Estimated number of Hispanic-owned firms nationally in 2012, up from 2.3 million or 46.3% from 2007.
• 312,738: The estimated number of Hispanic-owned employer firms nationally in 2015, up from 298,563 or 4.7% from 2014.
• $61.2 billion: The estimated sales/receipts reported by Hispanic employer firms owned by women in 2015. Male-owned Hispanic employer firms reported sales of $264.2 billion.
• 58.9 million: The Hispanic population of the U.S. as of July 1, 2017, making people of Hispanic origin the nation’s largest ethnic or racial minority. Hispanics constituted 18.1%of the nation’s total population.
• 10: The number of states with a population of 1 million or more Hispanic residents in 2017. They’re Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Texas.
These numbers provided are from the 2012 Survey of Business Owners-Hispanic Owned Firms, 2015 Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs and Vintage 2017 Population Estimates, according to MBDA.
More information can be found at mbda.gov/news/blog/2018/09/mbda-celebrates-hispanic-heritage-month-2018,
mbda.gov/page/hispanic-owned-employer-firms-top-five-states and mbda.gov/page/hispanic-owned-businesses-us.
» Feedback for the Editor
» Request Article Copy